Artstravaganza showcases student artwork, literature in Nichols reception

Rose Guan

Students view art and writing on display at the Artstravaganza today during long lunch. The event included a performance by Jazz Band, the unveiling of this year’s issue of HELM magazine and readings by selected authors.

by Anthony Xu, Reporter

Annual campus art exhibition Artstravaganza displayed student artwork and literature in a series of exhibits during long lunch in Nichols Atrium today.

Students, faculty and parents alike attended the event, which featured pieces of a wide range of media, including colored pencil, ink, watercolor, clay, photography and more. The exhibition also showcased a variety of literary works, from poems to personal narratives.

“I did a figure ground with a bird and a fish that fit together like yin and yang, which resembled the natural order of life,” Anya Gert (10) said. “I also made a colored pencil piece with the planets orbiting around a baby; the Earth is slowly deteriorating, and the baby is crying. It was inspired by a Fall Out Boy song, and it signified the impact of our actions on the world and on future generations.”

At Artstravaganza, Harker Eclectic Literary Magazine (HELM) also held sales of their newest print issue. Many of the artists and writers recognized in this year’s Scholastic Art and Writing Awards discussed and read their works for exhibition attendees.

“My favorite part [about Artstravaganza] is that it’s a community-wide event. Our collaboration with the English department also makes it so that students who are involved in writing, which is another creative expression, are equally celebrated,” visual arts teacher Pilar Aguero-Esparza said. “I find it extremely interesting to see visual artwork depicting certain issues that students are grappling with that are happening in the world—and then you read something that somebody’s writing and discover they’re also thinking about very similar issues.”

Jazz Band performed outside the Rotunda during the first half of Artstravaganza. Attendees were also served light refreshments inside the atrium.

Other campus art exhibitions held earlier this school year featured the works of AP art students and school winners of this year’s Scholastic Art and Writing Awards.