School meeting recap 3/12

Kathy Fang

Student council members Alycia Cary (11), David Wen (12), Avi Gulati (10), Akshay Manglik (9) and Kat Zhang (11) announce details about the upper school’s upcoming support and advocacy initiatives in response to the recent Marjory Stoneman Douglas (MSD) shooting. Among these efforts include an optional vigil in the athletics center this Wednesday and a gun debate and town hall at 3:15 p.m. in Nichols Auditorium on March 23.

by Anvi Banga, Aquila Asst. News Editor

Harker Athletics gave a short update about games this past week and encouraged students and faculty to support the teams at upcoming games this week.

The cheer team played a video promoting tryouts, which will take place from April 11 to 13. Current team members can be contacted for more information.

Psychology teacher Kelly Horan and biology teacher Dr. Kate Schafer hosted a discussion about the #MeToo movement in the CyberLoft today at 12:45 p.m. during long lunch. The meeting was open to any students or faculty identifying as female.

To participate in the “Music Around the World” performance during long lunch on April 24, contact Millie Lin (12) or Divija Bhimaraju (12).

Sunya Siddiqui (11) announced an upcoming trip to the Aquarium of the Bay at Pier 39 followed by a marine life cruise. Contact [email protected] for more information.

The sophomore class will be selling smoothies during advisory and advisee reviews on March 16, March 30, April 12 and April 24 to raise money for their class.

Artificial Intelligence (AI) Club hosted speakers from the industry during long lunch today in Nichols Auditorium. The topic of the speeches was “What every intelligent student needs to know about AI.”

This week is Gender-Sexuality Alliance (GSA)’s club week. The club sold coffee cake and bubble tea today and will sell baked goods after school on Tuesday and bubble tea during lunch on Wednesday. They are also hosting a talk with two transgender Harker students on Friday at 12:20 p.m. in Nichols Auditorium.

Art Club’s club week is next week and they are fundraising to put a permanent art gallery in Shah under the staircase. In addition to hosting a chalk drawing spirit competition, they will be selling homemade cookies, Krispy Kreme donuts, fried chicken and bagels as well as opening preorders for their hoodies.

The An Evening of Jazz concert, featuring Jazz Band and Lab Band, will take place on Friday at 6 p.m. in the Patil Theater. Tickets are available at tiny.cc/eoj.

The fourth annual BECon conference will take place on March 24. Tickets will be sold during lunch for the next two weeks and cost 15 dollars.

Members of HarkerDev walked students through the new online paying system. Applications to join the team are available at tiny.cc/joinharkerdev.

On Friday, there will be an informed voting seminar with history teacher Carol Green at 12:45 p.m. in Shah. On March 22, there will be a voting pre-registration table outside the journalism room during long lunch. On March 23, there will be a town hall and debate in Nichols Auditorium at 3:15 p.m.. Applications to speak at the debate are available on the class Schoology pages.

On Wednesday, there will be a vigil to honor the victims of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas (MSD) High School shooting at 10 a.m. in the athletics center. Attendance at the vigil is optional. After the vigil, students and faculty can go to Davis Field to sign a banner, write to elected representatives and make a support video. All snack bar profits this week will go towards a fundraiser for MSD.

The second Quadchella will take place on May 2. Signups are available at tiny.cc/quadchella.

ASB candidacy forms will be available in Dean of Students Kevin Williamson’s office starting tomorrow during lunch. The forms are due back to him this Friday.

Each class played a video about their spirit themes for the upcoming Spirit Week. The freshmen’s theme is Grease, the sophomores’ theme is Star Wars, the juniors’ theme is Fast & Furious and the seniors’ theme is the Avengers.

Harker Spirit is hosting a showing of “Guardians of the Galaxy” at 5:30 p.m. on Friday.