Humans of Harker: Floyd Gordon reveals the personality behind the highlight reel

Cameron Zell

“The change may happen tomorrow, it may happen later in life, but being afraid is something I want to change,” Floyd Gordon (12) said. “I don’t think I’ve really stepped out of the box yet. When I give advice to people, I usually tell them that they can’t be shy or scared, they just have to do it. But that doesn’t apply to me all the time. Like everybody else, I’m somewhat hesitant too.”

by Cameron Zell, Asst. Photo Editor

Senior Floyd Gordon prepares inside the boy’s locker room, his traditional song, AC/DC’s “Thunderstruck,” blasting through his headphones. As the game draws nearer, Floyd finds himself standing under the bright lights of the football field. He joins his close friends in a pregame huddle, each player praying for the next. Intensity on and off the field increases as both teams begin to play.

“Football in general has definitely taught me discipline on and off the field,” Floyd said. “You have to be disciplined for the sport, but with homework and studying for tests, I wouldn’t be as disciplined with that as I am if it weren’t for sports. When you’re a student-athlete, you try better in the classroom because of sports, and because you want to be out there on the field.”

A football player since age eight, Floyd values his relationships with his teammates and coaches over the years.

“The entire team is like a brotherhood, and it’s nice to know that you’re never really alone. You always have someone looking out for you, and you’re always looking out for someone else,” Floyd said. “When you’re an incoming freshman coming onto the football team, all of the older guys tell you that they have your back and that you can come talk to them.”

Director of Community Service Kerry Enzensperger has known Floyd since his freshman year — and her opinion of him hasn’t changed.

“I first thought he was super polite, quiet, kind of new to the school, but very friendly,” Enzensperger said. “He’s still polite and helpful, and I think he’s turned into a great ambassador for the school and the football program.”

Harker freshman Vijay Vyas (9) echoes this sentiment, having met Floyd through summer football practices.

“Floyd is a really close friend of mine,” Vijay said. “He is just so nice, and someone who always has a positive attitude. He was just so mentoring. He was very welcoming, and he’s someone you want to spend time with before and after practice, not just during.”

While others might see him as an outgoing football player — the face of the team’s “business year” slogan — Floyd believes that his personality is more reserved.

“I guess I want people to know that I’m not as open as people may think,” Floyd said. “I make it seem like I’m not a shy guy, to an extent, and depending on the situation and the content that we are talking about, I could be hesitant in what I say.”

His daring plays on the football field belie his inner doubts, doubts that he wants to overcome in the future.

“The change may happen tomorrow, it may happen later in life, but being afraid is something I want to change,” he said. “I don’t think I’ve really stepped out of the box yet. When I give advice to people, I usually tell them that they can’t be shy or scared, they just have to do it. But that doesn’t apply to me all the time. Like everybody else, I’m somewhat hesitant too.”

As a 5’7’’ wide receiver, Floyd weaves through defenders with speed and tenacity. While his life mantra — “never give up” — may sound common, his circumstances are not. He has overcome his physical stature to become an integral part of the team’s historic 11-1 record, ending the season with 501 total receiving yards and 11 touchdowns.

“Whatever problems you come across in life, someone will tell you to never give up,” he said. “When you follow that, even if you don’t know what you’re doing, you’re going to improve no matter what. No matter what I’m doing, I try my best regardless of if it’s silly or not. It shows other people that that’s someone they want to be around, or that no matter what they’re doing, they’re going to give it their all.”