Students attend Oregon Shakespeare festival

Juniors Abigail Wisdom and Matthew Mammen and sophomores Jasmine Wiese, Lauren Beede and Ayesha Baweja participate in a storytelling workshop at the festival campus. Students and faculty visited Ashland from Sept. 29 to Oct. 1.

by Krishna Bheda and Kathy Fang

Students from the Harker school attended the annual Oregon Shakespeare Festival in Ashland on Sept. 29th to Oct. 1st.

The festival is run by a professional repertory theatre company that was founded in 1935. Each year, the festival performs 11 interpretations of classical plays and conducts workshops and other activities for those attending the festival.

“We attend backstage tours, so we get to tour all the theatres and have workshops with the actors in the shows we just saw which is really really cool,” Ellie Lang-Ree (11) said.

Students attending this festival have access to get a behind the curtain experience.

“[I’m] always amazed every year that the people we see are just so invested in this–it’s their life,” Junior Sophia Angus said. “They’re telling us not only how they read the parts but they research the part and it just great.”

Students will be attending “Shakespeare in Love,” “The Merry Wives of Windsor,” “Henry IV, Part One” and “Henry IV, Part Two.”

This adaptation of Shakespeare in Love, directed by Christopher Liam Moore, is filled with humor and romance. It is about a young William Shakespeare who is suffering from writer’s block while trying to write his play “Romeo and Ethel, the Pirate’s Daughter.” In the duration of this 2 hour and 40 minute play, Will meets a woman named Viola who inspires him. Her inspiration and hidden secret turns what is supposed to be a humorous play into something that Will does not expect. Shakespeare in Love has one intermission. It is not historically correct.

The Merry Wives of Windsor is about how merry wives and neighbors try to win a battle against Falstaff, who is going after the money of Mistress Page and Mistress Ford and overstaying his welcome. this play is also about how Anne, Mistress Page’s daughter is being romantically chased by three men. Its entirety of three hours and one intermission is filled with comedy and wits.

Henry IV, Part one introduces Prince Hal as a rebellious teenager. His father, Henry who has just taken over Richard II’s throne, wants to prepare him to be his successor; Hal would rather party Falstaff and their other friends. The play explores Hal’s inner moral conflict against a background of insurgence and warfare and shows a transition “reckless son to a true prince.”
“Henry IV, Part two” is an extension of part one and finalizes Hal’s separation from his former lifestyle and from Falstaff. It explores his role as a rising ruler in the face of his father’s failing health as well as rebels from the north.

This piece was originally published in the pages of The Winged Post on October 12, 2017.