Humans of Harker: Manan Shah develops a love for helping

Melissa Kwan

“What I really eventually hope is that in clinical practice one day, some of the [research] work that I’ve done will be incorporated to help someone somewhere either get an earlier diagnosis or understand their situation at a better level than they would have before, so my ultimate goal is really just to find a way to use the resources that we have as privileged students of The Harker School to make a difference in someone’s life who might not have the same opportunities,” Manan Shah (12) said.

by Rose Guan, Winged Post Copy Editor

Like many other students, Manan Shah (12) enjoys computer science. Where he differs is in his use of technology for a multitude of lesser-known activities, from participating in the upper school’s nuclear nonproliferation initiative to organizing service events for the Harker National Honor Society.

“What makes me unique is probably a passion for computer science that also takes into consideration some of the consequences associated with computer science and technology,” Manan said. “The reason that I find [nuclear nonproliferation] interesting is that it allows students to develop a diplomatic relationship and understand how diplomacy is conducted at a level that is beyond simply writing code.”

Although Manan is passionate about the variety of ways he can use technology to help other people, he did not start programming until the summer before his freshman year in preparation for his courses that year.

“I hadn’t done any programming or coding, any of that sort of stuff, until my eighth-grade summer,” Manan said. “When I started doing that in my eighth-grade summer, I realized how interesting it was to be able to solve problems that I wouldn’t be able to solve normally using a pen and paper with one computer that I could carry around everywhere.”

Manan has also faced a tough choice between two interests: tennis and computer science.

“I used to play a lot of tennis in middle school, but when I started high school I had to decide between either continuing to play tennis or deciding to stick with computer science,” Manan said. “While tennis would definitely have been valuable for me—it still is, and I still do play—I think that I found a different sort of passion and a different personal development in the pursuit of computer science.”

Manan’s TEAMS and USAYPT teammate Neymika Jain (12) describes him as a kind person who cares about others.

“He puts in a lot of work to try to be flexible with people and try to be understanding of where they’re coming from,” Neymika said. “He’s always willing to help, even if it’s not his problem.”

Manan hopes that his work in research, service, nonproliferation and computer science will eventually be able to effect meaningful changes.

“I find joy in developing different things that both enrich the student body and provide me personal satisfaction,” Manan said. “What I really eventually hope is that in clinical practice one day, some of the [research] work that I’ve done will be incorporated to help someone somewhere either get an earlier diagnosis or understand their situation at a better level than they would have before.”