Keller’s Korner – October 28

This week’s events included a visit from Abbot Jian-Hu Shi, the fall play You Can’t Take It With You, and celebration of Halloween spirit.

“Any time we have a major performing arts production, it’s a highlight. I’m looking forward to seeing the play tonight. I’ve heard great things about it- I’ve heard it is hilarious,” said Upper School Division Head Butch Keller.

Zen Buddhist Abbot Jian-Hu Shi visited the Upper School on October 26. He spoke to students about moving from Taiwan and attending UCSD, then studying with Taiwan’s Grand Master Wei Chueh while at Chung Tai Chan Monastery. Additionally, he imparted his views and philosophy about Buddhism with students, sharing that he himself has not “reached perfection”.

This year’s fall play, You Can’t Take It With You, debuted on Thursday, October 27. The cast featured performers from all grades who had been practicing since mid-September. Performances will continue through Saturday, October 29. The plot of the play is based on two people from entirely different backgrounds that fall in love; one family is wacky while the other is uptight, creating clashing worlds.

In anticipation for Halloween this year, students participated an inter-grade pumpkin carving spirit event on Wednesday, October 26. Each participant was given 30 seconds to carve part of their grade’s pumpkin. Seniors won the competition, with juniors coming in second, sophomores in third, and freshmen in last place. Additionally, students paraded around campus in costumes that varied from Minions to Harry Potter on October 28.

More events to look forward to next week include Head of School Christopher Nikoloff’s lecture series, preparation for Homecoming, and a feature on a surprise club.