SDS staged readings to be held before auditions in October

Janet Lee 16, a student director of one of last years SDS shows, rehearses lines with Chetana Kalidindi (12), one of this years student directors. Staged readings will be held before auditions take place during the first week of October.

Janet Lee ’16, a student director of one of last year’s SDS shows, rehearses lines with Chetana Kalidindi (12), one of this year’s student directors. Staged readings will be held before auditions take place during the first week of October.

by Maya Kumar, Winged Post Features Editor

The four Student Directed Showcase (SDS) directors will be holding staged readings of their  plays in Patil 52 on Sept. 27 and Sept. 29 from 12:30 p.m. to 1:20 p.m.

Seniors Sana Aladin, Emre Ezer, Chetana Kalidindi and Kayvon Solaimanpour will be directing The Importance of Being Ernest, Removing the Glove, Grover and Dystopia! respectively.

“[Staged readings are] so helpful, especially for the actors.” Chetana said. “You kind of get a feel for all the plays and get really excited about all of them.”

During the reading, each play will be recited all the way through. Students will be able to choose of a few monologues from the plays to recite while auditioning, so these readings provide an opportunity to understand the plot and tone of each play before choosing how to perform in the audition.

Auditions will be held between Oct. 3 and Oct. 7, in Patil 52.

“All of us are doing comedies, so we just really want people who are enthusiastic and not afraid to take a few risks,” Sana said. “Just really friendly, nice people mostly.”

At the reading, the directors can also address students’ questions about the time commitment, auditioning process and any other concerns.