Girls lacrosse kicks off season

Trisha Dwivedi

Junior Aditi Maheshwari prepares to catch the ball during a match.

by Jenna Sadhu, Reporter

The varsity girl’s lacrosse team played their first league game against Burlingame’s Mercy High School yesterday on Davis Field.

The girls have played against top lacrosse teams in their league so far this season, including Archbishop Mitty, Gunn and Castilleja.

Twenty-three games are scheduled for the girls’ lacrosse season. There are six remaining games that will take place at the upper school campus, with the exception of eight games that are anticipated to be off-campus. Although the team has scored their only victory so far against Newark High School, they look to learn from their losses and improve their game.

“Mercy Burlingame is notorious for being one of the best teams in our league, I don’t think we’ve ever beat them before” co-captain Natasha Mayor (12) said. “I think [playing tougher teams has] definitely been a little demoralizing for [us]; it’s hard to have loss after loss but it’s helped us identify [our] weaknesses, especially our defense. We’ve been able to tighten up on our defense and we’ve learned a few new plays on offense to be able to trick out the other teams.”

Shea Tuli (10) is playing lacrosse for the first time this season. After playing on her previous school’s field hockey team, Shea thought that lacrosse would be a good alternative.

“It’s been a tough season so far,” Shea said. “We definitely have some good players out there, so we’ll [finish the season strong.]”

The girls lacrosse team has rituals and traditions that it takes part in before games and during halftime.

“Before every game, we huddle up and put our sticks in the middle and say ‘one, two, three, go Eagles,’ and then we’ll get on the field and go play,” defense player Ellen Minkin (10) said. “During halftime, we talk about things that we could be doing better. Usually, the second half [of the game] is always better than the first, because we have time to get motivated by each other.”

The girls also have traditions such as wearing patterned socks on game days and participating in a “buddy-snack system.” Each team member is assigned to another teammate, and brings their “buddy” a snack every game.

There are no girls lacrosse games scheduled for spring break, but the team’s WBAL playoffs tournament games will take place on May 11 and 13. The locations of the tournament games will be released closer to the end of the season. For more information on the team’s status, check out harkeraquila.com for updates.