FNHS hosts French cultural night

Aneesha Kumar

Students enjoy multiple food dishes during French Cultural Night. This event was held on March 8 in upper school teacher Galina Tchourilova’s room.

by Aneesha Kumar, Reporter

French cultural night, hosted by the French National Honor Society (FNHS) club officers, took place on March 8 at 4 p.m. in upper school french teacher Galina Tchourilova’s room where all French students and anybody interested in French culture were invited.

Compared to last year, there were more activities and food included. During the event, there were a variety french delicacies, a movie, traditional games and trivia.

“It an interactive, fun time for French students and their friends learn about French culture,” FNHS officer Daphne Yang (12) said.

The officers of FNHS have been thinking about cultural night since the beginning of the year, but their preparation began about one month prior to the event.

The cultural night had significance to students currently learning French.

“For me, the language can not be separate from culture because if you learn a language, you are learning about people in different places, how they see the world, and you practically acquire a different personality when learning the language,” Tchourilova said. “The culture is just as important as learning the grammar and vocab.”

Not only was the night valuable to students learning French, it also was an interesting opportunity for students learning other languages.

“I like the cultural nights because they are really not focused entirely on people who take French,” FNHS officer Andrew Rule (11) who has studied french since sixth grade said. “We invite anybody to come, including people who don’t take French, so we can share the culture that we love so much with people who aren’t exposed to it as much.”

This year was only the second year that the FNHS held cultural night, so they are still looking for new activities to add.

This piece was originally published in the pages of The Winged Post on March 23, 2016.