Varsity boys baseball loses to San Mateo High at home

Nate Kelly (10) lunges forward in preparation to throw a pitch during the second inning. Nate was one of three Sophomores to pitch during the game, alongside Akhil Arun and Dominic Cea.

Eleanor Xiao

Eleanor Xiao

Eleanor Xiao

by Eleanor Xiao

Boys baseball lost to San Mateo High School 3-12 in five innings at 4 p.m. at the Blackford campus today. The game was cut short of its usual seven innings due to bad weather conditions.

The boys were up 3-2 at the end of the fourth inning, but San Mateo High School came back to score nine points in the fifth inning.

Third baseman and pitcher Varun Haltore (11) commented on the comeback of the other team.

“For the first four innings, it was really close. We kept trading the lead back and forth, and then they just got some key hits and they just took the lead.”

Sophomore Tanay Kamat, who plays first base, spoke to the strength and resilience of the opposing team.

[The other team] is good,” Tanay said. “They’re a good hitting team. Even though they were down they still came back and won in the late innings.”

Outfielder Trenton Thomas (12) noted small mistakes that were made by the team that allowed San Mateo to take the lead.

Trenton Thomas (12) watches his ball after striking it with his bat during the second inning. The boys were tied 1-1 at the second inning.

Eleanor Xiao

“There were a lot of mistakes that added up together. Every batter made a couple of overthrows, a couple of under throws, and our pitchers were throwing strikes. There were a couple of walks though, but really just a lot of things added up,” he said.

Head coach Mike Delfino talks about how the team plans to move forward and their goals for the rest of the season.

“[Our goal is to] keep getting better every day,” he said. “Compete, compete, compete; that’s our motto. So as long as we just get a little better, we’re a very young team, 16 out of the 20 are Freshmen or Sophomores, so we just want to get better and more experienced everyday.

The team travels to San Francisco on Thursday to compete against Jefferson High School.