Varsity girls soccer loses 0-5 to Notre Dame

Ashley Jiang

Junior Stephanie Scaglia prepares to throw the ball in during the team’s match.

by Ashley Jiang, Reporter

The varsity girls soccer team lost 5-0 to Notre Dame High yesterday in a home game at 3:30 p.m. on Davis Field.

In the first half, despite a strong battle, the opponents scored one goal. Following their first goal, Notre Dame scored four more goals in the second half, bringing the game to an end with a final score of 5-0 with Notre Dame in the lead.

The Eagles have a current league ranking of 0-2.

Being the only senior on the team, Layla Walker reflects on her experience with the freshmen and sophomores.

“I mean I wish there were more [seniors], it would be more fun but it’s kind of a good opportunity,” she said. “We get to work a lot with some freshmen and sophomores and build the team up so the next seniors will be really strong.”

Aislinn Coveney (10), who is the goalie of the team, comments about her position on the team and what it means to be a goalie.

“It’s a very important position because you’re a part of the team but then again, you aren’t because you always have to stay back there, you always have to be completely confident in what you’re doing,” she said. “You have to lead the team forward because you’re the only one that can see all the things that are happening on the field.”

This year, the team is comprised mainly of freshmen and sophomores, with a couple of juniors and one senior. As one of the freshmen on the team, Sahana Narayan compares her experience on the high school soccer team with that of the middle school.

“I feel like it’s a lot more competitive and a lot more structured and it’s fun of course, but it’s also more to compete and try to win,” she said.

The girls will compete against King’s Academy at an away game tomorrow at 3:30 p.m.