Seniors and Eagle Buddies Celebrate Farewell on May 22

May 14, 2015

Zoe Woehrmann (12) and Shreya Dixit (12) pose with their Eagles Buddies. This was the last Eagle Buddy event of the year.

The seniors and their Eagle Buddies will celebrate their graduations from the Upper School and Lower School respectively in a farewell ceremony and luncheon in the Quad on May 22.

This farewell ceremony is the final Eagle Buddy event for the seniors and fifth graders.

“It’s pretty symbolic because we’re graduating from high school and they’re graduating from elementary school so it’s nice because they are kind of stepping into the shoes of the older people as we take off,” Jai Ahuja (12) said.

Last year, seniors met their Eagle Buddies on the upper school campus on Rosenthal Field for lunch on May 23 for their farewell ceremony. Attendees listened to a few seniors give speeches during the ceremony, and seniors and their Eagle Buddies were left to eat lunch, enjoy their last day together and reflect on their three-year Eagle Buddy journey together.

Senior advisors commented on the benefits of having a final ceremony to celebrate the Eagle Buddy program right before the seniors graduate.

“I suppose that there’s something sweet about having a final ceremony with younger people and the seniors because seniors are reflecting on their growth,” senior advisor and math teacher Lola Muldrew said.

Certain students commented on the significance of the entire Eagle Buddy experience and its culmination.

“It’s really just about a closure of an era,” John Nicholas Jerney (11) said. “It’s the end of a time in both of their lives in which they both experienced together.”

Although the official Eagle Buddy program ends on May 22 with the farewell ceremony, some Eagle Buddies and seniors keep in contact after graduation through email or other methods.

“I would say that we have really busy lives and schedules, so you have these little kind of connections, these tiny connections that occur. It would be nice if it could be more,” Dr. Muldrew said.

Sophomores and juniors will not have other Eagle Buddies events until next year.

This piece was originally published in the pages of The Winged Post on May 13, 2015.