GEO Multicultural Fair set to take place at end of April

Students try food at the 2014 GEO fair. This years GEO fairs date is set to take place at the end of April.

Courtesy of the Winged Post

Students try food at the 2014 GEO fair. This year’s GEO fair’s date is set to take place at the end of April.

The annual Global Multicultural fair, hosted by the Global Empowerment Outreach (GEO) club, is set to take place towards the end of April.

The fair is organized by the club for students to come by and experience practices of various cultures part of the Harker community. The GEO Multicultural Fair is an annual tradition at Harker. The fair will have booths representing a variety of cultures representing the heritage of students at Harker.

One of the goals of the fair is to display the different nationalities and heritages of Harker students and reveal the diversity of the school community. Each year, students set up booths with posters, food and activities related to their culture. The multicultural fair serves as a place for students and teachers to learn about the practices of different cultures

“[The fair] is basically a place for people to just walk around and have fun at the different booths,” Suzy Lou (12), co-president of the GEO club, said. “It’s also fun to explore different cultures; we still have people from different backgrounds, who really want to share, and I think it’s really important to their culture.”

Some of the presenters include senior Patrick Lin and Japanese National Honor Society, representing Japan, and junior Jason Chu who will set up a booth about Korean culture. Currently, the club has not contacted any teachers to host booths. Past presenter and history teacher Dr. Meyer talked about the country she represented in past years at the fair.

“I got together with Ms. Prutton, and we decided it would be really nice if we could make cups of tea for people, because that’s what British people do,” Dr. Meyer said. “It’s a really great remedy. If you’re having a bad day, make a cup of tea. If you’re feeling cold, make a cup of tea. Feeling stressed, you got a test, make a cup of tea. We decided it would be really good for everybody. We also bought British cookies for everybody, but they went so fast that we ran out.”

Currently, the date for the GEO Multicultural Fair is not finalized, but is tentatively set to be on April 29.