Girls varsity soccer loses to Fremont High School

Gloria Guo

Nikita Parulkar (12) dribbles the ball away from her opponent. The girls’ varsity soccer team loses against Fremont High School 3-4.

The girls’ varsity soccer team lost to Fremont High School 3-4 today at their second home game of the season.

Before starting the game today, Aishlinn Coveney (9), one of the team’s goalies, talked about her expectations for the game and upcoming season.

“I expect a really hard game today, but I hope we can do well, and play better than we performed on Tuesday,” she said. “I also think we will do well this season, but we will have some hard times playing against teams that have been in the top league for a while.”

Center midfielder Kailee Gifford (10) and forward Joelle Anderson (10) scored one goal each in the first half of the game today. Joelle also scored an additional goal on a penalty kick in the second half.

Following their game, right wing striker Anuja Shah (9), commented on their opponents and their performance.

“Since we’re in a higher division, it was a lot more competitive,” Anuja said. “Everyone played their heart out and we fought till the last second; it was a really close game.”

After shaking hands with the opposing team, the girls gathered around coaches Iman Siadat and Andrew Ransome to discuss their mistakes and how to improve their play and strategies for upcoming games.

Coach Ransome also gave feedback on the team’s performance.

“It’s another one of those performances where we’re just evaluating the players,” Ransome said. “They’re still finding their feet and learning how to play together as a team. I felt that we were a bit more cohesive in the second half than the first half, but we’re moving in the right direction.”

Coach Ransome also talked about how the team was made up of players with differing skill levels, the experienced girls playing at a higher level than those who are just picking up the game. He said that the players are still trying to play as a team, but they are improving their teamwork and starting to work together well now.

The girls will play their next game against Redwood Christian Jr Sr High School at home on Tuesday at 3:30 p.m.