Girls varsity soccer ties first game of the season

Kailee Gifford (10) dribbles the ball closer to the goal. The varsity girls soccer team tied 2-2 with Lynbrook High School today.

Jackie Gao

The varsity girls’ soccer team tied 2-2 against Lynbrook High School at home today in its first game of the season.

The game began this afternoon in a light rain that continued through a sporadic downpours. A few people, mainly other Harker students and parents of the players, showed up with umbrellas at the first game of the season.

Center midfielder Kailee Gifford (10) scored a goal on a penalty kick in the first half, and forward Joelle Anderson (10) scored a goal in the second half of the game.

This year, the team consists of 15 players: five freshmen, five sophomores, one junior, and four seniors.

During the second half of the game, one of the goalies, Aislinn Coveney (9), commented on the progress of the game until that point.

“I think we are doing ok [so far], but we can definitely do better,” Aislinn said. “Right now, we’re playing at our best.”

Team co-captain, Gabriella Gupta (12), gave feedback on today’s performance.

“I think it’s a good start,” Gabriella said. “I think it’s always hard when you first start out on the first team because you don’t really have the team chemistry built yet, but I think for the first game, I would say it went pretty well.”

Left midfielder, Nikita Parulkar (12), spoke about the players this year.

“You really can’t compare [this year from last year],” Nikita said. “We’ve got a lot of the same girls and three solid freshmen on the team too, so they bring their own talents on the team. I think we’ll shape up nice this year.”

Today’s game was the first time the varsity girls’ soccer team played against Lynbrook.

“We’re actually playing in a new league this year, so we’ll be playing tougher teams,” Gabriella said. “We’re down numbers too, so of course it’s a little scary you’ve kind of been in the same place the entire time. I think that in the future, we’re going to have a stronger team.”

At the end of the game, the team gathered together with coach Iman Siadat.

Siadat said that the girls played pretty well and they kept the ball in their possession 60 percent to 70 percent of the time. He also said the girls’ techniques and balls were better than Lynbrook High School, and they came close to winning.

To improve, Siadat said they could pass the ball more, move after passing it and be more open for throw-ins.

The team will play Fremont High School at home on Thursday at 3:30 p.m.