Second Day of Homecoming Week: Toilet paper toga event is held in honor of sophomores’ Homecoming theme

Walking around school on November 9, 2010 would be no different than roaming ancient Greek poleis with the sophomores donning togas to show off their class spirit.

Traditionally dedicated to the sophomore class, the second day of Homecoming week features the toga designing class competition during both lunches, as the four classes compete to create the most attractive-looking togas out of toilet paper.

“It looked fun. I’ve never dressed anyone up in toilet paper before,” Andrew Wang (9) said.

For the toilet paper toga competition, the juniors ended up claiming first place with the second place going to the seniors. Sophomores placed third, and the freshmen received fourth place.

Sophomore dress-up was also a highlight of the day.

“[The class council] put much thought in organizing ahead of time so that everyone had a toga. It looked like [the sophomores] were very spirited, and the whole class got to dress up at the same time. [The class] did a great job,” Jeffrey Draper, the Class of 2013 Dean and Performing Arts Teacher, said.

As nearly their entire class dressed up, the sophomores felt that their identical toga outfits displayed a sense of class unity.

Apricot Tang (10) said, “I think the school found it amusing and quite amazing
that [the entire] class was willing to walk in basically bed sheets; [however,] because everyone was doing it as a class, it wasn’t as lame as people would think. It became the cool thing to do, and the other grades were missing out on the fun.”