How to carve a pumpkin

With the approach of Halloween and its haunting traditions, comes a custom that most of us have known since our childhood: pumpkin carving.

According to History.com, this practice traces back to the Irish legend of “Stingy Jack and the Devil.” After taunting the Devil, Jack was prevented from entering both the gates of Heaven and Hell after his demise on Halloween. He was left roaming the Earth as a dead soul, carrying a radiant piece of coal in a turnip to light his way. Ever since, carving and lighting hollowed fruits, usually pumpkins, has become a tradition on Halloween to ward off evil spirits.
Used as accessories and decorations in haunted houses and seen at the doorsteps of homes that welcome trick-or-treaters, these jack-o-lanterns add to the eerie mood of Halloween.

Pumpkin carving, nonetheless, can be a tricky task. Here are some tips to make your pumpkin carving experience easier:

1. When choosing the pumpkin, make sure it is smooth; if it shows signs of mold or bruises, it will not last as long. Flat bottoms are also better for balance.

2. Carve out the top of the pumpkin but do not throw it away. You will eventually use it as a lid. Butter knives work, but kitchen knives with ridges enable more precision with each cut.

3. Using your hands, extract all the pulp and seeds. You can also use a spoon, but it may be harder to scoop all the pumpkin’s contents out.

4. Next, attach a paper template of a Halloween design to the pumpkin. You can find some creative designs in the Halloween section of Ehow.com.

5. Trace the outline of the pattern with a marker.

6. Use the carving knife to slice out the patterns from the design. You may have to go back and trace the pattern with the knife multiple times to cut the entire piece out smoothly. Leave the carved pieces in the pumpkin until you are done cutting every piece.

7. Finally, light a candle and place it inside the pumpkin. Cover the pumpkin with the lid you carved out. Voila, the jack-o-lantern is ready for Halloween.