Keller’s Korner – 12/13

As students prepared for their exams the week before finals, they also had the opportunity to participate in the annual spirit competition of gingerbread house making, help members of Harker’s Eclectic Literary Magazine (HELM) fundraise, and watch the annual Holiday Show.

The gingerbread houses, HELM week and the holiday show are all so unique in what they bring to the community. The gingerbread houses were the best, and I think people had a lot of fun doing it. I appreciate the fact that our community does know how to have fun. Of course, the Holiday show, I’ve heard people talking about it now for two weeks, how much they’re looking forward to it, so I know it’s going to be fantastic as it always is. The holiday show is a favorite of mine because the whole community comes together and celebrates.

Five gingerbread houses now decorate the entrance to Manzanita, one made by each class and a special entry by faculty members for a holiday themed spirit competition. Each group used various candy and frosting to decorate their winter-themed house. The sophomores took first place, followed by the freshmen in second, and the seniors in third. The Juniors were disqualified for using a bowl in their final creation which took the shape of an igloo.

HELM used the week before break as a fundraising week. After school they sold baked goods and other trinkets to raise money for the production of their magazine. The week also served as an advertisement to remind prospective writers of the due date, January 6th. As of Monday, the due date has been extended by two weeks.

The annual Holiday Show featured performing arts groups from all three campuses. Groups including Downbeat, Varsity Dance, Harmonics, and the Upper School Orchestra performed holiday favorites for the crowds enjoyment. The show not only includes performers of all ages, but also is performed at three of the campuses to spread the holiday cheer to most of the school, including Keller.

As school begins again, league play for sports teams starts as well as the much anticipated Student Directed Showcase.