Eight track and field athletes qualify for CCS preliminaries

Junior Claudia Tischler (right) runs with other track and field athletes during practice. Claudia qualified for three running events for the Central Coast Section (CCS) Track and Field Preliminaries to be held at Gilroy High School this Saturday.

Eight athletes qualified in either running or throwing events for this Saturday’s Central Coast Section (CCS) Track and Field Preliminaries held at Gilroy High School.

The athletes include seniors Michael Chen, Ragini Bhattacharya, Isabelle Connell, and Sumit Minocha along with Claudia Tischler (11), Corey Gonzales (10), Julia Wang (10), and Nadia Palte (9). They will be traveling to compete against other top track and field athletes throughout the region for a spot in the CCS Finals and, possibly, the California State Championships.

Claudia, who qualified for three running events, attended CCS her freshman year but not her sophomore year due to an injury. She believes that she has been recovering well and hopes to “race like [she] used to.”

“CCS Trials is the first of the future track meets, and I’m excited to make it to the next round of meets,” Claudia said. “The most exciting part is being able to stay confident and healthy during the end of the season rather than actually going to CCS for me.”

Athletic Director Dan Molin is enthusiastic for these track and field athletes and wishes them the best at CCS.

“The cohesive coaching staff in addition to some very talented, hard working kids is why we’ve seen this recent growth and attention in track and field,” Molin said. “These individuals have worked extremely hard and qualifying for CCS is a great reward for their efforts. Some of our athletes may have a shot at making the state meet at the end of the month.”

This is the first track and field CCS that Ragini will be attending, as she qualified for the 4×4 relay with teammates Claudia, Isabelle, and Nadia.

“I hope we qualify for CCS finals, but besides that I hope we break a personal record,” she said. “We’ve been breaking the school record again and again and I want to make sure we leave our legacy at this school so getting our best time would be a great way to do that.”

For Michael, he hopes that he will remember to “keep calm and throw with a clear head” during his last CCS preliminaries.

“The last few years I’ve been psyching myself out too much. So this year I want to go out and just throw with no regrets,” he said.

If these athletes place in the top 12 for their events during the CCS preliminaries this Saturday, they will be able to compete in the CCS finals next Friday at Gilroy High.