Softball perfect season continues with 11-1 victory

Senior Alison Rugar throws the ball with speed and force towards Alma Height’s batters. The majority of Alison’s pitches in today’s game resulted in strikeouts, resulting in 87 total strikeouts for her so far this season.

Winning yesterday’s game against Alma Heights Christian in the fifth inning with a score of 11-1, Varsity softball continued its streak, so far going undefeated with six victories.

Pitcher Alison Rugar (12) started the game strong, striking out all three of Alma Heights’ hitters at the top of the first inning. The bottom of the inning included Alison hitting a single, Mishi Vachev (10) stealing second base, and Ashley Del Alto (12) getting a walk to first.

It was not until the second inning, however, that the Eagles gained points on the scoreboard. Through stealing bases, Briana Liang (10) was able to get a run. With a powerful hit from Alisa Wakita (9), Alana Shamlou (11) ran home bringing the score at the end of the second inning to 2-0.

The Varsity boys volleyball team made a special appearance on the bleachers before their practice, cheering on their fellow Eagles as Alison struck out all three hitters again in the third inning.

At the bottom of the third, Ashley “Smashley” hit a triple, bringing Nitya Mani (10) home. Laura hit a single, letting Ashley run home, and Tong Wu (9) hit a double taking Laura and Briana home.

Freshman Marita Del Alto pretended to bunt the ball but then hit it so Alana could steal 2nd base, and the pitcher overthrew the ball, allowing Alana and Tong to run home and bringing the score at the end of the third inning to a 8-0 lead. The fourth inning ended quickly, with one more point for the Eagles as Ashley stole home when Alma Height’s catcher overthrew the ball.
“Everyone really contributed to this win. I feel like we really came together as a team,” Alisa said.

The girls knew that their opponents had not won a game yet this season, but the Eagles still went into the game with the same determination they would with in any other game, according to several players.

“Games like this are good because you find weaknesses in your own team,” Nithya Vemireddy (11) said. “It’s dangerous because the other team plays with heart and we have to be aware of that. Another thing I really like is the players who don’t normally get play time get the opportunity.”

In softball, a 10-point lead in the fifth inning ends the game, so the girls stepped out onto the diamond in the fifth inning ready to finish the game. A series of mistakes, however, resulted in a run for Alma heights, giving them a point on the board and making the score 9-1.

The girls then needed to score two more runs at the bottom of the fifth inning in order to end the game as hoped. They stepped up to the plate and Ashley “Smashley” hit a final double, bringing Alisa and Sonali Netke (10) home.

“The goals were not to play down to another team’s level,” coach Raul Rios said. “We play our game, Harker softball, not worrying about what other teams do. We did that and good things happened.”

Hoping to continue their undefeated streak, the girls take on King’s Academy away on Friday at 4 p.m.