Spring cleaning do’s and don’ts

Along with disposing the old, reorganization is key to spring cleaning. Dust off those old boxes and find yourself with plenty of extra usable space.

‘Tis the season, not for gingerbread cookies or christmas presents, but spring cleaning! Although it may sound lackluster or labor-intensive, spring cleaning reaps great rewards and clears wasted space if approached in the right way.

Do designate plenty of time
A common mistake committed by novices and experts alike is underestimating the time required for such a project. Even if tackling only one closet or room, things can quickly spiral into a mess as more objects are unearthed. Allot plenty of time to clean and reorganize. Turn up the music, grab a snack, and enjoy the process. Cleaning is hardly a race.

Don’t save unnecessary items
The nostalgia of old clothes, broken toys, or other odds and ends can compel people to stash away things they will never use. Do not throw away good memories just for the sake of getting rid of things, but at the same time, be wary of infusing sentimentality into common objects. Find the joy in the things that are saved and do not store away the unnecessary. Carefully evaluate what is really important and what the items will be used for before granting them precious space in an already small room or closet.

Do give to charity
A big part of spring cleaning is rejuvenation, which can not occur without parting with the old. Instead of disposing of items that are, to all appearances, intact, use them to help those who are less fortunate. This list may include old clothes that simply do not fit anymore, used toys that now seem too childish, or household items in surplus such as umbrellas, placemats, or blankets. Use the opportunity to give back to the community.

Don’t buy before organizing
Be it a forgotten appliance or an unopened box in the garage, digging up the old can prove to be a gold mine. Rather than spending money on items already in your possession, take the time to organize and finish cleaning before plunging into the shopping. It may be painful, but waiting to refurbish or finding lost items is beneficial.

Do be environmentally friendly
While throwing away many objects, it is very easy to get overwhelmed and blindly trash things. Always be aware of the environmental impact. It may not be much, but setting out a recycling bin next to the trash can, using eco friendly boxes, or adding compost bins in the backyard will not cost too much time or additional effort and will serve the environment better.

Although spring cleaning may still seem to be a chore in itself, it can create new space, dig up fond memories, serve the community, and help the environment. Remembering a few simple do’s and don’ts may go a small distance in making the world around us a better place; after all, we must work for the things we wish to happen. Why not start with spring cleaning?