Local events to celebrate the new year in style

Dress up and enjoy a night out, celebrating the arrival of the new year in style. The San Francisco Symphony invites attendees to be creative and wear masks of all shapes and sizes to its annual New Years Eve Masquerade Ball.

From freshly crafted resolutions to the thrill of the New York ball drop, New Years can be an entertaining event to celebrate with friends and family before going back to school.

While kicking back at home with popcorn, ice-cream cake, and party hats is always an option, there are a number of other ways to celebrate the night in style.

Davies Symphony Hall
The San Francisco Symphony’s annual New Year’s Eve Masquerade ball is a popular event for music and dance-lovers. While it does require formal dress, the event is exciting while still relaxing and a contrast to the conventional setting of the symphony’s other concerts. In addition to masks and music, there will be desserts served to all attending.

Restaurants with New Years’ Events
An alternative to a scheduled event is celebrating the New Year at a local restaurant. Both All Spice in San Mateo and Amber India on Santana Row boast four-course fixed meals. Other restaurants open up all their menu items and simply ring in the New Year. With a number of local favorites dotting the Bay Area, families can celebrate the coming of a New Year with great foods and ambiance at a local restaurant.

Asian Art Museum
A less traditional way to celebrate New Years, a trip to the Asian Art Museum promises to ring in the New Year, literally. A ticket buys a swing at a large Japanese bronze bell weighing more than 2000 pounds. The ringing of the bell symbolizes the release of old worries of the former year and the welcoming of a new and fruitful one.

Embarcadero – Pier 14 New Years Eve Fireworks
The Pier 14 fireworks are a classic way to celebrate and appeal to a variety of different ages. With food sold nearby and many viewing spots to choose from, the fireworks have become a long standing tradition enjoyed by locals and tourists. Take a few warm blankets for the family, a picnic basket full of tasty treats, and a deck of cards for the wait before the fireworks, and enjoy the transition from 2012 to 2013.