Sophomore class reelects honor council representatives, new class secretary

Tiffany Wong

Candidates for 2019 class secretary Tiffany Zhao (10), Cindy Wang (10), Richard Wang (10), Jason Huang (10), Alycia Cary (10), Mahi Gurram (10), Meghna Phalke (10) and Elizabeth Yang (10) look on as class dean Chris Florio addresses the sophomores. Alycia was announced as the winner of the election via an email announcement from Mr. Florio today.

by Tiffany Wong, Aquila News Editor

The sophomore class voted Alycia Cary (10) as their new class council secretary during a reelection for the position today after fifth period in the gymnasium.

Students listened to speeches from candidates Alycia Cary (10), Mahi Gurram (10), Jason Huang (10), Meghna Phalke (10), Cindy Wang (10), Richard Wang (10), Elizabeth Yang (10) and Tiffany Zhao (10) before casting votes by paper ballot.

Dean of Students Kevin Williamson announced the vacancy of the class secretary position after naming previous class secretary Kat Zhang (10) to the position of ASB secretary last Tuesday.

*This story has been updated from its previous version to include the results for the recent sophomore reelections for class council secretary.

———————————————————————————————————————————————————

The sophomore class elected Bobby Bloomquist, Taylor Lam and Stephanie Xiao as their new honor council representatives in a reelection held in the gymnasium at the end of today’s school meeting.

Poll results for the recent sophomore honor council election last Friday were declared invalid after a student noticed that one honor council candidate’s name had been left off the voting ballot. Academic Dean Evan Barth notified the sophomore class about the need for a reelection and asked them to bring a writing utensil to the voting session via an email announcement yesterday.

Following today’s appointment of class of 2019 secretary Katherine “Kat” Zhang (10) to fill the vacant position of ASB secretary, the sophomore class will also be holding another election to elect a new class secretary after candidates for the office present their speeches during next Thursday’s sophomore class meeting.

“In my speech, I talked a lot about taking initiative, paying attention to students’ ideas are and maintaining transparency, and I hope to bring all of those goals to ASB,” Kat said. “I hope that our new class secretary will carry on encouraging transparency, because a lot of people don’t exactly know what goes on in our student council meetings.”Mi

The new class councils were announced yesterday. For the sophomore class, Kelsey Wu was elected council president, Anjay Saklecha vice president, Kat Zhang secretary, Shania Wang treasurer and Claire Newman spirit coordinator.