Nintendo Switch breaks new ground in console gaming

The Switch, released by Nintendo on March 3, features a very unique design. Two controllers can either be attached to the central screen for handheld gameplay or detached to either form two small controllers or one large controller.

Wikimedia Commons

Wikimedia Commons

by Neal Sidhu, Reporter

The Nintendo Switch has become one of Nintendo’s fastest-selling consoles and was released on March 3.

The Switch is a gaming system which can be used not only as a home gaming console, but also a portable gaming device.

A device that can be used as both a portable and home gaming console has never been created before. This allows one to play on their television screen, then disconnect from it and continue to play on the handheld screen in a moving car.

“The Nintendo Switch seems like an innovative design from Nintendo that revolutionizes the gaming industry, because it’s such an improvement from the old 3DS,” David Feng (9) said. “It’s compatible with multiple devices and multiple screens which gives it more capabilities that other devices don’t have.”

Despite the popularity of the product, some users dislike a few design choices, such as the location of the charging port. The Switch has been built such that one cannot use its kickstand to hold the console upright while charging. Another negative factor is the shortage of popular games for the console.

“I think it’s a very versatile system because it’s both portable and usable at home,” Lilia Gonzales (10) said. “[A] problem is that there’s [only] one game right now that’s worth getting.”

The portable feature of the gaming system opens the world of gaming to those who feel that they don’t have enough time to play video games at home.

“I think it’s definitely a very [innovative] concept, especially for people who don’t have time to sit down at home with a traditional console and play on their TV,” Jimmy Lin (11) said. “I think it’s a really great way to bring the gaming environment to people who are always on the go.”

According to Forbes, advertisements featuring the console’s capabilities have greatly contributed to the popularity of the console. Nintendo has claimed that the Nintendo Switch has broken their records for fastest-selling console, which were originally set by the Wii.

While popularity and support for the Nintendo Switch grow, design flaws and a lack of released games cause doubt about the product’s future.
“I haven’t experienced the [gameplay] of a Nintendo Switch before, but I’ve heard relatively positive reviews on it,” Matthew Jiang (9) said. “It’s a new product. We’ll see what happens on the market, but until then we just [have to] wait and see.”