Latin students take annual National Latin Exam

Tiffany Wong

Latin students of all levels took the annual National Latin Exam in the gym today. Director of Standardized Testing and Scheduling Derek Kameda proctored the test.

by Tiffany Wong, Aquila News Editor

Upper school Latin students of all levels took the annual National Latin Exam today during long lunch in the gym.

The National Latin Exam, one of the various tests offered to Latin students during the school year, traditionally consists of 40 multiple choice questions covering a variety of topics including reading comprehension, mythology, Roman life and customs, history, geography and derivatives. At Harker, every Latin student is required to complete the National Latin Exam in the spring.

“I was surprised at how much information I remembered from previous years, but it was a challenge to complete the exam,” AP Latin student Sara Min (10) said. “There was a question regarding the geography of the Roman empire that I wasn’t really sure of, but hopefully that won’t play too much of an impact on my final score.”

Upcoming events for Latin students include the California Regional Certamen Rounds (CARCER), a quiz-bowl style event, at Miramonte High School on March 18 and the California Junior Classical League State Convention from April 21 to 22 at St. Ignatius High School.