Freshmen and sophomores attend annual LIFE assemblies

Freshmen+gather+in+Nichols+Atrium+for+the+LIFE+assembly+on+Friday.+Speaker+Diane+Main+addressed+the+topic+of+digital+citizenship+during+the+meeting.+

Anya Weaver

Freshmen gather in Nichols Atrium for the LIFE assembly on Friday. Speaker Diane Main addressed the topic of digital citizenship during the meeting.

by Anya Weaver, Reporter

Upper School Director of Learning, Innovation and Design Diane Main and writer D’ Anne Burwell, author of the memoir “Saving Jake: When Addiction Hits Home,” spoke to the freshman and sophomore classes, respectively, at a series of LIFE assemblies yesterday.

Main spoke in the Nichols Atrium about digital citizenship and explained the psychology of the teenage mind, emphasizing the differences between the development of the frontal lobe of an adolescent and one of an adult.

“We want to make sure that students are aware of all the different ways that their decision making and what they are going through as teenagers can present challenges,” Main said. “Social media is definitely a place where a lot of students are, so I want them to understand the risks involved so they can be there, but be there safely.”

On the other hand, Burwell shared her experiences with coping with her son Jake’s struggles with overcoming a drug addiction.

“I hope [Jake’s story] causes my audience to think and helps them decide what they will or won’t do when faced with the choice of using illegal substances,” Burwell said. “If students have family members and friends impacted by this, I hope my talk encourages them to be empathetic and to not stay silent.”

https://youtu.be/OP6idzFQu8c

Before the introduction of the LIFE program, freshmen were required to attend a health class after school. Due to a lack of positive student response to this course, Head of School Butch Keller and mathematics teacher Jane Keller, who first created and now organize both LIFE and the Eagle Buddies program, decided to replace the health class with LIFE, a different program unique to Harker that would cover topics useful and relevant to high school life and students.

“What some students don’t realize is that the things they post and do on social media, while they believe they are deleted or aren’t captured, can actually stay with them as part of their digital footprint,” Mrs. Keller said.

Freshman Avi Gulati enjoyed the presentation because it allowed him to learn more about how the adolescent mind plays a role in one’s social media presence.

“I was amazed because Ms. Main brought in so many different aspects of our student lives, like sleeping and our brains—prefrontal cortices to be specific—and connected these various and disparate aspects into the one idea of a digital footprint,” he said.

While the sophomores and freshmen attended LIFE assemblies, the seniors and juniors spent time with their Eagle Buddies at the Bucknall and Saratoga campus, respectively.