Students audition for High School Musical

70+students+from+all+grade+levels+participated+in+the++musical+auditions+during+the+lunch+breaks+on+Nov.+28+and+Nov.+29+in+Mrs.+Lang+Ree%E2%80%99s+room.+

Eric Fang

70 students from all grade levels participated in the musical auditions during the lunch breaks on Nov. 28 and Nov. 29 in Mrs. Lang Ree’s room.

by Eric Fang, Reporter

Seventy students from all grade levels auditioned for the Harker High School musical auditions at lunch on Nov. 28 and 29 in Ms. Lang Ree’s room.

Students auditioned in groups of around 6 at a time, and were told to read one monologue and one song excerpt in which they had previously prepared. The auditionees stood on a small blue “x” positioned towards the center of the room and faced the judges: Ms. Lang Ree and Ms. Snider. The two judges sat behind a small metal desk, their laptops before them.

The auditions began with either of the judges calling up the first auditionee. The auditionee would then stand on the blue “x” and begin reading their monologue from a paper prepared beforehand, or singing a song excerpt which they had memorized. Before singing, the auditionees provided the pianist, Jonathan Erman, with a music sheet and told him what portion to play.

Tasha Moorjani (9) took part in the auditions and said she felt extremely nervous before the auditions, but that it actually turned out to be both fun and exciting.

“We were pretty nervous, but the auditions were kind of fun in a weird away,” Tasha said.

Brandon Stoll (12) felt that a lot of students, were stressed worrying how well they did in the auditions, whereas many others felt more calm and collected about auditioning.

“For some people it’s stressful, but for other people, they’ll give their all, get what they get, and that’d be good enough for them,” Brandon said.

The rest of the auditionees listened intently as every student slowly but surely went up to sing and read. Every student made sure to move their hands to emphasize words and acted out movements to show emotions. All the while, the judges constantly transitioned from silently listening to the music or words being read to typing away on their laptops, taking notes.

After everyone in the group had auditioned, they would all be thanked and congratulated on coming out, and a new batch of auditionees would be welcomed and let in.

Laura Lang-Ree, the performing arts directors at The Harker School felt that students were inspired to audition for the musical they wanted to be a part of something bigger than themselves.

“[They are inspired by] being a part of something bigger than themselves, and the joy and fun of performing,” Lang-Ree said.

The finished musical production will be showcased to the Harker community in April.