Varsity girls’ volleyball loses to Monte Vista Christian

Meena Gudapati

Taylor Iantosca (12) serves the ball during a set at the game. Eagles lost the game 0-3 at Blackford on Tuesday.

by Meena Gudapati, Winged Post News Editor

The girls’ varsity volleyball team lost to Monte Vista Christian School during a home game at Blackford at 6:15 p.m. on Tuesday.

During the game, the girls lost three of three 25-point sets, bringing their overall record this season to 2-5. Assistant coach Alex Jones spoke about the team’s performance throughout the game.

“Today we really struggled at the beginning of the game,” he said. “We had a very slow start, but I was glad that we were able to rebound, and we improved on some of the things we needed to work on from this weekend’s play.”

The girls lost to Sacred Heart 0-2 during a tournament match on Saturday. Jones commented on how the team improved since Saturday’s game.

“We did a much better job step closing and attacking the ball from our outside hitters and opposites,” he said. “We haven’t been passing as well as we did last year, but we pointed out some things on Monday at practice and we were able to execute some of those things. Even though we had a three-set loss, we’re trying to take out as many positives as we can.”

Taylor Iantosca (12) plays as a defensive specialist on the team. This year will be her third season on varsity.

“Considering the first [match] was really rough, I think we did really well in not losing hope and fighting back to come back from a 9-19 losing streak,” she said. “Even though we lost 22-25, we were still in the 20’s, [which] is really good.”

This year’s varsity team consists of one freshman, two sophomores, five juniors and four seniors. Carol Liou, mother of player Katrina Liou (10), discussed goals for the future of the team this season.

“They had quite a few students graduate last year, so I think a good goal for this year would be to get everyone working together really well and the newer players trained really well,” she said.

The team will play their next non-conference match at Presentation High School this Thursday at 6:30 p.m.