Around the world in 72 days: students explore the globe on school trips

FUN IN THE SUN (TOP LEFT) Students on the Costa Rica trip fill in a sand plot to be used as a hatchery for turtle eggs they collected during the night. (TOP RIGHT) Seniors Erika Olsen, Jessica Yang, and Noel Banerjee spend time with a Tanzanian tribe. (MIDDLE RIGHT) Noel Banerjee (12) poses with a young native from Tanzania. (BOTTOM) Mariam Sulakian (12) enjoys paddleboarding near the beaches of Maui.

Over the summer, numerous students and faculty members traveled around the world for school affiliated trips centered around research, education, and community service. Destinations included Tanzania, Costa Rica, and Hawaii.

The Costa Rica trip, led by chemistry teacher Dr. Smriti Koodanjeri  and physics teacher Dr. Eric Nelson, was comprised of sophomores and juniors. The group included ten students, all of whom shared an interest in biological science. Because Costa Rica is a country with a tremendously rich diversity of animals and plants, students were able to explore their interests and execute individual research projects.

“Students got hands on experience in conducting research and analyzing data using statistics [under] the expert guidance of Dr. Diana Lieberman, [a local biological researcher],” Koodanjeri said. “Then, they all got a chance to present their work at the University of Georgia, Costa Rica campus in Monte Verde.”

Aside from research, the students also learned about the cloud forest, volunteered at the Turtle Hatcheries in Baru, went whale watching, and enjoyed white water rafting and a chocolate tour.

Journalism students and adviser Ellen Austin flew to Hawaii for their annual department trip. Students were able to interview and interact with various artists of the area, including poet W.S. Merwin.

Elisabeth Siegel (11), the news editor of the Winged Post, shared her joy in having a “more practical experience as a journalist outside of that gained at Harker.”

There was also time allotted for the journalism staff members to develop new ideas for their respective publications. Students used their free time in Hawaii to lounge on the beach, learn how to paddle board, and swim in the ocean.

Yearbook co editor-in-chief Sabrina Sidhu (12) commented on her experience: “I think the best way to describe [the trip] is as a perfect balance of work and fun.”

Finally, the Tanzania trip, chaperoned by biology teacher Mike Pistacchi and science department chair Anita Chetty was centered around both biology and community service. The 13 students spent the beginning of their trip observing the wildlife in Tanzania, while on safaris and hikes. Exploration destinations included Mt. Kilimanjaro and Tarangire National Park. Towards the second half of the trip, students had the opportunity to visit native tribes, one of which was part of Africa’s last hunting-gathering tribes, the Hadzabe. The students held an informal Q&A with the Hadzabe, focusing on topics such as gender relations and cultural traditions.

“Some of the ideas that are commonplace in our culture are so completely foreign to the [theirs],” Jeremy Binkley (12) said.

The students also held an eyeglass clinic for the Maasai tribe to provide prescription eyeglasses to their community. Prior to the trip, the students held a drive in which they collected donated eyeglasses from the school community.

Overall, the student tourists enjoyed studying, researching, and serving in foreign locations. Similar trips will be offered periodically throughout the year as well as next summer.

This article was originally published in the pages of The Winged Post on August 29, 2014.