Varsity baseball team gets ready for new season

Senior Kevin Cali sprints to first base at practice on Wednesday. The team will play its first game next Thursday.

The Varsity baseball team is looking to improve its 9-17 record from last year and finish this season with more wins than losses.

The team members and coaches have big expectations for the upcoming season. Catcher Arthur Goldstein (9) is hoping for a winning record, with most of the wins coming from home games.

Coach CJ Cali said that he plans to encourage the team to “come out and compete hard in every game.”

“I’m not too concerned about winning and losing. If we play hard and practice hard as a team, the winning and losing will take care of itself,” he said.

The team is led by its three seniors, Drew Goldstein, Jacob Hoffman, and Kevin Cali. Due to the shortage of upperclassmen, the younger players do not have as many opportunities to receive necessary guidance that elder players on the team could give to them.

“We do not have a bunch of seniors or juniors. When […] you’re putting a young team out there, you know that there are a bunch of mistakes that juniors or seniors wouldn’t make,” Coach Cali said.

The team not only lacks seniors but also needs more players on the team in general. With only three more players than the number required to field a team, members have to compete in positions they do not normally play.

“Our biggest problem is the number of players that we have,” Dalton Forbes (9) said.

Despite the challenges, the team has very high goals for the season. Forbes said that he would like the team to “have no errors on the season”. Arthur also added that he wishes to have a batting average over 250.

The team’s first game of the season will take place at Blackford on Thursday, February 28 against Summit Preparatory High School.